1. PartiesThis Room Rental Agreement (“Agreement”) is entered into this ________ day of ________, 20_____ (“Effective Date”), by and between ______________ (the “Landlord”) and ______________ (the “Tenant”).
2. PropertyThe property subject to this Agreement is located at ______________, Vermont (the “Property”). The Property includes a single room for the Tenant’s exclusive use, and common areas for shared use with other occupants of the Property.
3. TermThe term of this Agreement will begin on ______________ and end on ______________. Upon expiration, this Agreement may be renewed under terms agreed upon by both Parties.
4. RentThe Tenant agrees to pay ______________ dollars ($_______) per month, due on the first day of each calendar month. The first month’s rent is to be paid before Tenant move into the Property.
5. Security DepositUpon execution of this Agreement, Tenant will deposit with Landlord the sum of ______________ dollars ($_______) as security for any damage caused to the Property during the term of this Agreement.
6. Utilities and ServicesUnless otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Tenant will be responsible for all utilities and services for the Property.
7. Maintenance and RepairTenant will keep the Property and furnishings clean and in good condition. Tenant will notify Landlord promptly of any damage to the Property.
8. Rules and RegulationsTenant agrees to comply with all building, housing, health, and safety codes and other applicable laws.
9. Governing LawThis Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Vermont.
10. DefaultIf Tenant fails to comply with any of the material provisions of this Agreement, or of any present rules and regulations governing the Property, Landlord may terminate this Agreement upon providing proper notice to Tenant.
11. TerminationUpon termination of this Agreement, Tenant will return the Property and all property of Landlord in a clean and good condition.
12. Entire AgreementThis Agreement contains the complete agreement between Landlord and Tenant and cannot be changed except by written agreement.
13. Vermont Specific ProvisionsAny security deposit paid by the Tenant shall be returned by the Landlord, less any lawful deductions, within 14 days after the termination of this Agreement. The Tenant has the right to be present at the final inspection.
Landlord shall provide at least 48 hours’ notice before entering the Property for non-emergency maintenance or repairs.
14. SignaturesEach Party is signing this Agreement on the date stated opposite that Party’s signature.
Date: ____________ Landlord: ____________
Date: ____________ Tenant: ____________
Please note that this Agreement is a standard form that may not address every possible rental situation. It is advisable to have a lawyer review any legal document for your protection.
If you are in the process of renting a room in Vermont, our Room Rental Agreement Template will be exceedingly helpful for you.
In addition to this, it may be beneficial to familiarize yourself with other templates relating to property agreements. These include templates for Contract for Deed, Contract for Rental Property, and Contract for Sale of Real Estate in Vermont.
If you’re interested in commercial rental or occupancy agreements, see also our Commercial Lease Agreement Template and our Occupancy Agreement Template.